Thursday 9 July 2009

Weekend workshop #6

Thank you so much for your feedback from last week, we had a varied response to moving the Weekend workshop to its own page and will hopefully get some more this week before we make a concrete decision.
This weeks WW has a great tutorial from Caryn on Black hair.
Also this week Debbi has helped us to put all of our tutorials onto PDF files to download and print. So if you would like any of the tutorials from the last 5 weeks and today’s just email me and I will email them to you.
Tutorial – Black Hair
This is a quick “how to” on how I colour black hair on an image. I have used the 5 grey pens in the “Cool Grey” collection but you would apply the same principals if you were using the Ice Greys or the Warm Greys. I am not an expert, this is just how I would go about it!! I have used a Gorjuss girl image available from Funky Kits.
STEP 1

Stamp desired image in a suitable ink. I have used Memento Tuxedo black ink on SU! Whisper white cardstock. Then take your palest colour, Cool Grey 1 in this case and colour the whole of the hair.
STEP 2

Work your way up through the shades from palest to darkest. Each time I move to the next shade I take the colour over less of the hair. This gives a graduated look working from the roots of the hair, where you would expect it to be darkest, to the areas where you would expect to see light reflecting, eg, where the hair curves over her shoulders or on the fringe.

STEP 3
With the Cool Grey 1 (palest) pen again, go over the whole area using it to blend any harsh lines between shades.You may then want to “touch up” or tweak with the other pens any areas you think need more shading.

STEP 4
With either the black Promarker or a Letraset black fineliner (my preference) go over the areas sparingly where you would expect to find the darkest shadows (roots, behind neck, overlapping areas etc.). You may then want to use a white gel pen to highlight the areas of highest light reflectivity.

This last picture is the completed image . I have used the same technique on the tights – colouring with Cool Grey 1, 3 and the black fineliner. For her dress I have used Cool Grey 1 and 2 on the areas where the fabric folds or curves.

Hope this helps. Any other tips or suggestions are always welcome by the DT so don’t be afraid to share!!
Hugs,
Caryn xxx


***********
If you would like any more hints or tips or would just like to put a idea forward please email us, we are always happy to get emails and comments and it really does give us all a boost on the DT
***********
Coming up NEXT WEEK – we have another fabulous tutorial from Debbi “Monochrome Image”
**********
Hugs Gina, Denise and Design Team xxx

8 comments:

Unknown said...

A fantastic tutorial thanks for sharing x

Ruth said...

This is really helpful.I think I don't have enough greys to do it properly yet but I'll be back! Ruth x

Suzanne said...

This is a fab tutorial it now means I need to spend more money!! Sue :o)

kaylou said...

Hi Ladies
thankyou so much for the tutorials.
If you have time please could you look at this what my kids did...HMMMPF It's better than mine.
hugs kaylou xoxo

kaylou said...

Hi again
forgot to put the link in (doh)
here
thanks
hugs Kaylou xoxo

Bee said...

Fantastic tutorials! These are such a great feature of your exiting challenge blog.
I would be keen to sponsor you one week if you are interested, I particularly enjoy seeing my own images coloured with markers so am a real fan of your challenges.
- Bee Crafty
mail@artisangroup.org.uk

jackiescrafts said...

Brilliant tutorial, thanks for sharing
I don't have enough pens yet to do this properly but I'm working on it hehe

Kit said...

what a fantastic tuyorial. I have often wondered hoe to get this effect and have only ever seen it achieved with copics, so glad that this blog is in my life now, makes things so much easier, I hope to see lots more from you